Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Soup of My Dreams - Creamy Turkey Wild Rice

I've been searching for this soup recipe.

I didn't know it, but when I tasted it, I knew then that it was a soup recipe for which I have been longing.

I've tried others that were almost right . . . close to perfect . . . on the brink of delightful.  But this one is, for me, the end of the journey.  The journey to the perfect Turkey Wild Rice Soup.

Savory and fragrant, with the mellowness of wine, a rich touch of bacon, and the nutty chewiness of wild rice.  





Thanksgiving was great.  And using my turkey leftovers to make this soup was the perfect way to end a sweet holiday.

I first read about my dream soup here.  Which then directed me here for the recipe.

Here, then, is the recipe, with a few of my changes noted:

Creamy Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
5 tablespoons butter (1 tablespoon for sauteing, 4 tablespoons for cream sauce)
1/3 cup diced celery (1/4" dice)
1/2 cup diced carrots (1/4" dice)
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
4 cups chicken broth (1 32-ounce carton)
1 cup water
3/4 cup wild rice
2 cups diced cooked turkey (about 1 pound) - my family said it needed more turkey
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning - none on my spice shelf---I skipped it
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
2 tablespoons white wine (optional) - put in extra here.  yummmmmm!
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled - used turkey bacon . . . made me feel better about the half and half
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Make the soup: Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onions, sauteing until softened - about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, water, wild rice, and turkey. Bring to a boil; then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Make the cream sauce: Meanwhile, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix the flour and poultry seasoning together in a small bowl and then add to the butter; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the half-and-half and cook until slightly thickened - about 1 minute. Stir the sauce into the soup. Stir in the white wine, bacon, salt, and pepper. Serve.

3 comments:

  1. Oh me oh my...this would be in my dreams too...wish I could pop over for a bowl! It is even very pretty. Love eating pretty!
    xoxo Happy new week to you..Thanks for sharing..off to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you post your recipes. I"m still cooking (and loving) the Italian Roast recipe you posted a long time ago. :) We're big soup lovers in our family during winter months. Since I'm not super big on turkey, I'm thinking this recipe would be perfect with chicken. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful information shared.I am very happy to read this article.thanks for giving us nice info Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.
    Organic Long Grain Brown Rice

    ReplyDelete