Monday, July 6, 2009

Blue and Green at the Pool

I've already told you how the delightful combination of blues and greens just make my heart skip a beat! I got another green and blue thrill at the pool this past week.



I had taken my knitting with me down to the pool. Now, before you think that nominates me for most uncool mom of the year, I have to tell you that I have found the MOST wonderful way to end the day. Those children interested and I have been going down to the pool around 7:30 p.m. and staying until 8:30 or 9:00. There is almost no one at the pool. The day is ending. The heat of the day is dissipating. The splash and lap of the water is soothing. And I bring my knitting and work a few rows and then finally succumb to the pressure to "Please, Mommy, please, get in the pool!" It's lovely.

As I knitted away, relishing this feeling of utter tranquility, I looked at my yarn and needles and saw the most beautiful combination there of the metallic turquoise of the needles and the creamy pear green of the yarn.

On looking up and around, suddenly there was blue and green everywhere at the pool.



The vivid turquoise of the water,


The bright, fresh green of the grass stretching back behind the pool to the fountain,



Small flip-flops, waiting for their wearer to go slap-slap-slapping home in them,




This gorgeous towel of another pool-goer (I waited until the owner was floating face-down on a raft in the middle of the pool before sneaking over and getting this picture. I hope she didn't think I was stalking her. My children looked the other way and pretended not to know me. Another vote for most uncool mom.),

Youngest Daughter's cheerful little bathing suit.




These are good times at the pool. Calm memories, peaceful stitching, green and blue all around.

8 comments:

  1. I linked to your blog from Brin's blog {Messy, Thrilling Life} and what a treat! Love your banner. Your humor and heart for others shines through brightly. I roared when I read your post on the notice to the children of not bothering you. Brought back great memories. My mother-time-out-rules were no interuptions unless you were bleeding profusely or the fire was larger than you could put out yourself! My kids {now 21, 19 & 16} still laugh about it to this day. Really enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Those colors are a great combo. I love that pattern you are working on. I never learned how to knit.

    Your pictures are great. That is a great time to visit the neighborhood pool. We learned that in our last neighborhood too.


    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colours blue and green they remind me of the ocean.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so pretty-- I think that color combo is part of the essence of summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm... i am going to have to look for the green and blues in my world tomorrow. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelley,
    I found your blog through a comment you left on Girly Muse's post about Thrifty/Rite-Aid ice cream. I currently live in Simi Valley, so I'm probably getting my ice cream where you did! Love the colors on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was thinking the other day about choosing different colours, and although i did pick slightly different combinations, when i got home they all complimented each other and went, looking round my room the same colours kept popping up, dusky pinks and duck egg blue, with pale pink and baby blues, a few sections of jade green and a few splashes of bright red, its funny what colours we get drawn too with out realising! i love your blue and green so summery!
    felicity xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty post. I love blue and green. I also love the fact that you take the kids to the pool late - that is one of my favorite times of the day. The air feels "soft" to me. Always has. And that is rare here in the South!

    I love the color you are knitting with. I guess at some point I really, really need to learn. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete