Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Things Accomplished, Things Relinquished

At Christmastime, you can't do it all.  You just can't.  Well . . . at least I can't.  I try not to think evil thoughts about those that seem to.

This year, something I really wanted to do was to put a little time into wrapping presents.  Our tree was vintage papers and gold and lime green, and I really wanted a natural look with the lime green touch for the presents too.

Usually, I get around to wrapping all my gifts at about 11:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and am doing well to throw some Target paper around the present and locate the Scotch tape.  That would be a good Christmas Eve.


This year, the presents were wrapped slightly earlier with some stamping, curling of ribbon, stuffing of tissue, punching (of different papers . . . not of family members) and gluing.  And then I arranged the lime and natural brown presents under the lime and natural brown tree and . . . oh, my heart!!  Worth every minute.  ::sigh::  Even worth seeing the presents ripped to shreds by teen-aged males without so much as a cursory glance at the stamping, curling, and artfully arranging.  Still worth it.

On the other hand, I relinquished all Christmas baking.  Yes, all.  I just never got to it.  With 4 now that struggle with wheat, many of the recipes just aren't the same with the GF mix.  And I was just never in the mood.  Not this year.

Well, I take that back.  In a fit of motherly guilt, I did throw together one small recipe of GF sugar cookies on Christmas Eve, let Youngest Daughter press out the bells and trees, and angels and then hurriedly frost.



Hardly to be called Christmas "baking."  More like a quick Christmas craft project.  But it made both of us feel better . . . she more creative, me more of a good Christmas-mom . . . a win/win to be sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment