Monday, November 8, 2010

A Ritual of the Most Delightful Kind



This weekend we gained a delightful hour of sleep.  Of course, it just wouldn't be normal if I didn't also stay up an extra hour later to completely rob myself of that delightful hour.  ::sigh::

And so now the dark nights of fall and winter are coming even earlier, sending my playing children scurrying for home before I've even put pots to the fire and whisked up their dinner. 

I would love for my home to be a warm and light refuge from the dark night.  And the adorable Lucy from Attic 24 has given me a delightful idea.  That's her picture up above.  Aren't the votives charming and inviting?  She says, "My evening ritual of lighting the candles . . ."

What a lovely evening ritual.  How warming for my family to pop their heads in the door and see candlelight glowing here and there around the house.

I think today I'll scrounge around and see if I can find some little votives for my own evening ritual . . . little pieces of warmth and light throughout the house to chase away the darkness.

4 comments:

  1. that is wonderful...yes! thanks for the inspiration...I would love to begin this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a candle lighter too. Especially in the dark season of winter. Sometimes in the cold months I suffer from seasonal depression, not bad mind you, but enough to give me the blahs. I found if I light candles around my home, it really perks me up. So I have a candle space on my coffee table, on my bar in the kitchen, and in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I just picked up 2 new candles last night on our date. Citrus Vanilla in little Ball canning jars. They are so cute and smell so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about candlelight that is enchanting...relaxing...peaceful. Once after an extended power outage and having placed candles all over the house, I was almost disappointed when the power came back on. Teens weren't hunkered down in their own rooms, no TV noise,...ideal conditions to just relax & enjoy each other's company! Perhaps I should just secretly cut the power to the house once in a while..ha!

    Loved the sentiments of this post, Shelley! Xo, Sue

    ReplyDelete