Monday, February 13, 2012

Can I Be Thankful on Valentine's Day?



There it was right on the teacher's web site when I pulled it up at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday night.

"Please bring valentines for your classmates on Monday.  Remember those sweet bags we made last week?  Well Monday we are going to fill them up with valentines from all of you."

Unbelievable.  Valentines needed first thing in the a.m.  No time to shop.  Valentine-less child not an option.  ("All of you" does not mean "all of you except Youngest Daughter.")

So, even though it is not the 4th Thursday of the month of November, I would like to express my thankfulness on this day-before-Valentine's-Day.




*  I am thankful that in my distant past I thought I was a scrapbooker.

*  I am thankful that 2 weeks ago I hid these dye-free lollipops high in the cupboard because the children appeared to be eating them instead of their 3 meals a day.

* I am thankful that while digging through a craft box I found small cellophane bags from a craft so far in the distant past that its memory completely escapes me.

* I am thankful that I bought the red curly ribbon giant jumbo roll at Target instead of the small, do-one-gift-only mini roll.

* I am thankful that since Valentine's Day specializes in sappy, corny sentiments I didn't have to try to be clever.



* I am thankful that under great emotional strain Middle Son agreed to plop all the lollipops head down in the cellophane bags.

* I am thankful that Youngest Daughter was willing to be 5 minutes late to school and help me tie red curly ribbon while waiting in the car.

* I am thankful that I have gotten through another school event without the teacher ever finding out how very much this mom doesn't have it together.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed! Even though you may feel that behind the scenes you do not have it all together, pulling together these wonderful valentines make it look like you have it much more together than you give yourself credit for. I am constantly amazed at your creativity and ability to make something beautiful out of simple materials, like the Christmas garlands from the old book. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that I was able to volunteer in our daughters' classroom today.

    I am thankful that I saw your adorable daughter with her braided-wavy hair and purple eye shadow that she said she applied herself.

    I am thankful that I came home and read this blog today because I saw your beautiful valentines and instantly felt like less of a clever parent as I pondered the valentines that my children had stuffed in the collective bags.

    You know - you make magic happen even when you don't think that you do!

    I love this little blog and your cute daughter and you!

    ReplyDelete