Sunday, January 26, 2014

Simple

I've found my word for 2014.

I wasn't going to even pick one.  If a word doesn't come up from the inside to define what I hope my year to be, then for goodness sake, don't force it.  Who wants a "word" for the sake of a "word."

But finally it did come bubbling up and bursting out, and that word is . . .

S I M P L E.

Because when it comes to all things life, I will inevitably go for whatever is the most complicated, most amazing, most impressive, and that results in . . . most stressful.

That could be forced to work when I had unlimited time and energy (aka, single and childless!!), but now that I have limited resources by virtue of LIFE (!!), I am realizing that every single time I go for complicated, amazing and impressive, I am going to be cheating another critical area of my life . . . spouse, children, ministries, friends, creativity, or (for goodness sake) keeping my house clean!!

Every.....Single.....Time!

In real time, choosing simple looks like:

Choosing to make simple and quick Italian Chicken Rice Soup for company,
 instead of Braised Brisket in Bourbon Peach Glaze


::sigh::

or crocheting a Simple Scarf,
instead of leaping into making the Most Gorgeous Throw I've Ever Seen.



::sniff::


Or being content with Simple, Real Flowers in Bottles on the shower table, 
without having to add an Explosion of Handmade Tissue Blossoms up above.


::ahem::


I must remember that saying "No!" to complicated, amazing and impressive is always saying "Yes!" to peace, love and sanity.

And all by focusing on what is . . .

S I M P L E

1 comment:

  1. I think there is such beauty to be found in simplicity...

    ReplyDelete