Monday, May 24, 2010

The House Across the Street

I love, love, love big, wide, vast open spaces!

When my husband took me to his home state of Minnesota and his little farming hometown, I was enchanted. Beautiful, wide open spaces everywhere you looked. The little town of 900, plunked down right in the middle of corn and soybean fields as far as you could see.

I could stand in one place and see the horizon 360 degrees around. Oooh, I just love me those wide open spaces!

And that love of wide open spaces is what causes that little nag of discontentment to come inching in on the fringes of my mind when it comes to my own home and my own little plot of land.

On those itchy fringes of my mind is the longing and desire for my very own big . . . wide . . . open . . . vast . . . space!

So, when the house across from our subdivision went up for sale, I knew my prayers had been answered. I knew my dream was to be fulfilled. I knew that at last I could twirl in expansive delight in my open space.

There it was, edged with flowering trees and white fence:




There it was, set back from the road by a large horse pasture:





There it was with a large, welcoming gate:





For goodness sake, there it was with a FOR SALE SIGN!!





I was ready when the Man of the House turned the key in the lock . . . words spilling out . . . animated arm/hand motions . . . face alight.

"Mmmhmmm," said the sensible Man-of-the-House. "I saw that and looked it up online."

Aha, he was on the same page as me! Things were looking bright!

"Yes. You might be interested to know that the house is 7,200 square feet and the price is 2.5 million."

Aha. Uh-huh. Hmmmmm.

Don't want to clean 7,200 square feet of space. Don't have 2.5 million dollars. Doesn't look like I'll be getting that house across the street.

I meandered out to the back deck.

I looked to the left . . .





Constrictive.


I looked to the right . . .



Claustrophobic.


However, if I stand due southwest on my back deck and close my left eye, I can see a beautiful line of trees. And I know that on the other side of those trees is a tiny, barely-running creek. And if we have a lot of rain (and I do mean a gully-washer) there will actually be water flowing back there.

And so I stand on the back deck of my lovely, lovely home, and I choose to be very, very . . .


Content.

5 comments:

  1. Ah. Don't you just hate those dream homes that are 2.5 million. :( But your lovely yard looks like a very happy place to be...and content is the very best of all.

    Who knows, there might be a nice large parcel of land with about 4,000 LESS square footage that has your name all over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure like those wide open spaces too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome view! Gorgeous place across the street too!

    Content is my word of the year. I think you know Farmgirl Paints - right? Well her "word" is "Be" - you might already know that. You know I just had my birthday - well my "word of the year" is content something I really have to force myself to be aware of... it's tough sometimes.

    Hope your family is doing well - The lady of the House

    ReplyDelete
  4. I carve those wide open spaces too!!! A girl can dream? right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come visit me! There's lots of wide open space in these here parts.

    ReplyDelete