Thursday, January 19, 2012

Of Beads, Hemp, and Jack Sparrow

Saturday morning I thrifted a cute unbleached linen blouse.

Saturday noon I decided the blouse needed a new necklace to go with it.

Saturday afternoon I picked up a box of mixed wood and bone beads and hemp cord at Hobby Lobby.


Saturday night, after completing dinner, cleaning up dinner, monitoring showers/baths, setting out clothes for Sunday, administering night-time prayers, hugs, and kisses, I finally got to start on my necklace, which of course was intended to be worn to church the next morning.

Love, love this beautiful collection of the wood and bone beads, mixed in with some odd beads of my own, collected from who knows where.

I started at 10:30 p.m. and invited along Johnny Depp in his current incarnation as Jack Sparrow, to give me some company and keep an eye on the progress.




Surrounded by all those interesting beads and the earthy black hemp twine, I felt as if I had perhaps found my new calling as a jewelry artist, complete with darling little tins of different beads, a set of intricate hand tools---pliers, crimpers, cutters, tweezers, and a small soldering gun.

Never mind that I was just stringing beads onto twine.  The imagination of what could be has always been much more alluring than the reality of what is.  ::sigh::




When I plunked myself down at 10:30 p.m., my initial thought was, "How long could this possibly take?"  By 2:30 a.m. I knew that it actually could take exactly 4 hours to sort beads into appropriate patterns, string beads and knot string.




This may or may not have anything to do with the distraction of encouraging Jack Sparrow in his quest to once again be in possession of his Black Pearl.




I also realized at 2:30 a.m. that as fun as beading is, I do not have a new career in such laid out ahead of me.    

And, also, that should I ever be so unfortunate as to wind up a stowaway on a pirate ship,  Jack Sparrow would be an endlessly entertaining captain.

2 comments:

  1. I love that necklace; I am very impressed by your talent and your ability to stick to creating it for four hours. And I <3 Jack Sparrow... I just might have a bit of a crush on Johnny Depp *ahem*

    ReplyDelete