Saturday, June 13, 2009

Shameless Peach "Cobbler"



This recipe is an embarrassment!

It's an embarrassment because I really do try to stay away from packaged foods with all their additives and preservatives. It's also an embarrassment because it tries to calls itself a "cobbler" all the while secretly knowing this is nothing but a charade . . . a farce.



And it's an embarrassment because it's so doggone easy that calling it a "recipe" is laughable!



All that being said, this recipe is a necessity!!


It was a necessity when on Memorial Day I was scrambling to hand-make meatballs and a homemade barbeque sauce and whip up cream cheese mashed potatoes and set the table and make everyone feel welcome and I realized I needed dessert!! Fast, easy, delicious. Yes, those are the kinds of times this recipe is a necessity!!


I fed this dessert to my company that night, biting my tongue so as not to apologize all over myself for not being more stunning in my dessert offering. And wouldn't you know, my table of foodie friends loved it!! They'd never heard of making "cobbler" like this before. For goodness sake, they called me from out of town 2 weeks later to find out how to make it!!


So, for all the above reasons and for more you may think of on your own, here is my shameless peach cobbler. Serve it with your head held high, my dears, and, for goodness sake, serve it with a large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!




Hope you're having a wonderful, sunny weekend!!!

Shameless Peach "Cobbler"

1. Set oven to 350 degrees.

2. Fill a 9 x 13 pan half-full with sliced peaches. Since they're in season down here, I used fresh, but you can also drain several large cans and use canned instead. (Oldest Son told me the flavor of the fresh is MUCH better). I used no sugar on the peaches.

3. Empty a box of cake mix into your mixer and cut 1 1/2 cubes of butter (I like the real thing!!) into slices on top of the cake mix.

4. Mix the ingredients until small, sweet chunks of cake-y, butter-y goodness form. (The butter could also be manually cut-in to the cake mix.)

5. Sprinkle topping on top of the peaches.

6. Bake at 350 until browned and bubbly (Sorry, I can't get any more specific than this. I go by the smell : )!! It calls all of us from wherever we are in the house and begs us to remove it from the oven!!)

7. Enjoy with ice cream. (When you use fresh peaches, it can get a little "soup-y" on the bottom with all that fresh peach goodness baking. Don't let this bother you at all. Simply ladle the soupy part over the ice cream. Problem solved!)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for commenting and what a joy to read your blog as well! 5 kids?! Wow!! I am aspiring for 4 but am in complete awe of mothers who do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, don't you feel the least bit ashamed! This is one of my Mama's "secret" recipes too and it's sinfully delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites, too! I LOVE this stuff. Peaches are my favorite fruit. My first boyfriend's dad had peach orchards and I would literally make myself sick on fresh peaches every year. Ahhhh, the joy of living in the South!

    I'm so glad you shared that recipe. I'll be using that, too, over the 4th of July.

    Happy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make something similar - but with rhubarb and a white cake mix! My mom just brought me up these delicious peanut butter squares. Then she 'confessed' the base was from a cookie mix. She was all shy about admitting it. Too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I can smell it now!
    I have a good recipe too, for a peach crisp. Just peaches, flour, sugar and butter. Our Georgia peaches should come in soon, and the Georgia Belles in July. My favorite summertime fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man, somebody pass the plate. Don't worry, I'll go get it out of the oven!! And, FRESH peaches!!?!?!?! Oh, Lordy! I'm a goner...

    ReplyDelete